Note in the Pocket provides school appropriate clothing to homeless and impoverished students in Wake County.
Note in the Pocket began with one Wake County teacher’s desire to help with the clothing needs of her kindergarten class. It’s grown to be an entire community helping to provide appropriate clothing to students in a school system where there are more than 50,000 students living in poverty.
Children shouldn’t suffer in social and educational development due to a lack of well-fitting, seasonable and appropriate school clothing. Our goal is to allow students to arrive at school comfortable, confident and dressed for academic success.
Our new Mobile Volunteer Program (MVP) was designed to provide a fun, convenient and start-to-finish way for local schools, religious and civic groups and businesses in Wake County, to help local children in need.
By participating in an MVP event your group or organization will:
- Host an item specific clothing collection prior to your event (we will help you!).
- Host a volunteer event at your location where your group will process and sort donated clothing that will eventually create mini-wardrobes for school children.
- Provide financial support that will help Note in the Pocket reach more students in need.
What all is included with the MVP event package?
- Information on the basics of conducting a clothing drive.
- An onsite visit and planning meeting prior to the event.
- Trained volunteer leaders who will guide and facilitate the entire process.
- All of the equipment and supplies needed to sort and bag clothing at the event.
- Transportation of all donations, equipment and supplies to and from your location.
- The priceless feeling of giving back to those less fortunate.
What is the financial investment to host an MVP event?
The program fee to host an MVP event depends on the number of volunteers that will be attending. The funds will be used to help provide mini-wardrobes of clothing to local students living in poverty. Wardrobes include: new socks and underwear, shoes, a variety of tops and bottoms to mix, match and layer to create a season’s worth of outfits designed to be comfortable in a variety of temperatures, and any outerwear appropriate to the season.
- 10-25 volunteers: $1000
- 26-50 volunteers: $2000
- 51-75 volunteers: $3000
- 76-100 volunteers: $4000
Please note that there is no program fee requirement for groups to volunteer at our Volunteer Center. This program is intended for groups that would like the convenience of hosting a community or team building event at their facility or that has a larger number of volunteers than our center can accommodate.